rejetto forum

Help for Noob!

Offline metalmickey

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hello all,
i'm new here, I have tried several ftp & http servers and find this one by far the best & easiest to use :D

I know this question may have been asked many times before but....
I have just installed version 2.0 beta17 on my machine running XP sp2
I am on a 1mb cable line through my lan card.
The graph at the top displays top speed as 7.00kbs? when i press the browse button to see my files.
What sort of speed ahould I be expecting? as my friends who have tried it say it's very slow.

Also is it necessary/advisable to open any specific ports in my settings.
I am currently using the default port 80 as when I change this people cant connect?

Would changing any of the above help my speeds any? I know port 80 is very common and maybe already in use elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me :lol:
(sorry if this is asked constantly, i'm new to servers)
ACTS are meaningless......
They can be used to PROVE ANYTHING!!

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "metalmickey"
I know this question may have been asked many times before but....
I have just installed version 2.0 beta17 on my machine running XP sp2
I am on a 1mb cable line through my lan card.
The graph at the top displays top speed as 7.00kbs? when i press the browse button to see my files.
What sort of speed ahould I be expecting? as my friends who have tried it say it's very slow.
The graph's top speed will increase as your server gets traffic and files are being transfered.  I suspect you are referring to your download speed limit when you say a 1 mb cable line.  It's your maximum "upload" speed that is being used not your 1mb cable line  when a person downloads a file from you.  Most standard cable/dsl connections have a higher download speed with a lower upload speed.  If you don't know what your max upload speed is, contact your ISP.  Also your maximum upload bandwidth is "shared" with all incoming connections until it is used up.

Also is it necessary/advisable to open any specific ports in my settings.
I am currently using the default port 80 as when I change this people cant connect?
If you change your port from the default port 80, you have to let people know what port you are using otherwise they won't be able to connect.

(example:  h*tp://123.456.789.0:10000 <-- the 10000 is the port)
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
as maverick said, you should be telling us what your max UPload speed is, as allowed by your ISP.
you can expect to reach this speed if you are not doing anything else on the net.

If you are downloading or uploading with other software, then your speed with HFS will be lower.
To know if this is happening, you should be using a software to measure network activity, because some activities may be hidden.

Offline metalmickey

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
thanks for the help, I will look into getting some network activity monitor of some kind.
ACTS are meaningless......
They can be used to PROVE ANYTHING!!