rejetto forum

Files won't transfer to Android Device..

yocalif · 16 · 11326

Offline yocalif

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi, and thanks for making this great nifty file transfer utility free, I really appreciate it.

I want to be able to transfer files to my Nookcolor ereader,  file extension, pdf, epub,txt , etc.

Setup on my Laptop was easy,
However after testing that the HFS server was working properly, (d/l files from my laptop to desktop copying file) I then tried laptop to Nookcolor ereader.  The Nookcolor browser had no problem seeing the HFS server, but download failed, simply saying "Download unsuccessful.

The Nookcolor currently only allows a USB cable hooked to either a laptop or desktop to move files around.  I would like to use HFS to move files.

Any idea why file transfer not working on the Nookcolor? 

thanks for any help

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Not familiar with Nookcolor, but usually the problem is the browser is not capable
in many devices. Best bet is to try to upgrade the browser.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
1. post the log of HFS after you try to download the file.
2. did you try to download similar files from other sources, like a website?
3. if you google for it http://goo.gl/2kww9 you'll find you are not alone. I think this problem is very specific and you will find a solution only in the nook community, or from the company itself. The device may even be designed to not allow you to do it.

Offline yocalif

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thank you for the replies,  and special thanks to Rejetto both for the reply and your great application.

Yes I did try downloading a file through the Nookcolor browser, I used your own site, and downloaded the HFS.exe from downloads here.  There was no problem.

At first I thought it was file extensions, so then I tried PDF file and epub file, via HFS.  I did verify that with HFS running on my laptop was accessible via desktop with the ip:port, no problem there HFS served the file from downloads just fine.

So if the Nookcolor browser could download ok from this site, why not from HFS?

I used HFS for some quick file transfers between friends a couple of years ago it was quick easy solution, compared to setting up Xitami, which worked fine but a lot more complicated to setup, where I setup a whole portal for the same, fun project but I don't have time to deal with the security issues.  HFS so fast so easy.

Offline yocalif

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
BTW the error I get

<Unknown>
68.111.111.250 (fake ip)
Download unsuccessful

I did submit a question on the http://forum.xda-developers.com forum to hopefully get what is causing this issue.  I have read that android browsers have this issue on other android OS gadgets ie  Samsung Tab

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
so, downloading hfs.exe from rejetto.com didn't end with the "unsuccessful" message.
Try to share hfs.exe file through HFS itself, and and see if there's any difference.

Offline NinjaS4

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm having a similar problem transferring to my Droid phone.  Usually it won't work, but somehow yesterday it did.  Now it doesn't again (and I haven't changed a thing, or even rebooted my machine since then).  And it isn't specific to 3g or my home network, it worked both ways yesterday, it doesn't work either way today.
Using the same 21mb MP4 file.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:46:13 AM by NinjaS4 »

Offline yocalif

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
We have have discovered that with NO Passwords the transfer works from
PC >HFS>wireless home network>Nookcolor.  
I should have tried this before, but I have always thought of using HFS as an open server on the internet to turn on when I and my friends wanted to transfer files.

Without enabling IP/Port virtual service in the router, by simply using the HFS pc IP:port it and not open to WwW so no password necessary, and  file transfer was accomplished PC > Nookcolor Android device.

While I am happy, it would be nice for HFS to have password protection working too, for Android transfers.

But for now this solves a problem for many.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
@yocalif
ok, just ensure you use an high and random number for the port, or you can easily be found.

@NinjaS4
your problem also is related to the password?

Offline NinjaS4

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have been testing in some of my free time.  The password does keep me from downloading and uploading a 20mb mp4 file.  I am not setting a full folder password, just using account logins.  If i set the folder to anyone, all works well.  The problem there is, my items are not secured.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i will work on it, but it may require the new authentication system to work

Offline yocalif

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
rejetto, I am glad you finally understand,  I'm may be guessing but I think NinjaS4 is the same person I recruited off of Nookcolor forums to help me verify what the possible problem is. 

BTW there is NO chance I would EVER consider opening my home network up to the internet without some kind of protection.   I ran a Xitami Web Server with a portal app on my home PC, and I was scanned and probed within a hour.  I finally took it down, even though I was never penetrated, an avg of 10 or more probes a day.

Jalawa

I can confirm that the same happens for me with my ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco). Downloading from any site works as long as it's not account/password protected. However when I try to download a file, using any of the browsers availible (Skyfire, Dolphi Mini, Opera or Standard) from my password protected HFS, it fails.

If I remove the protection from HFS it works perfectly. I hope we will see a update regarding this in the future!

Offline dragondon

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I just became aware of this awesome little program yesterday and I am ever-so-happy to have found it :)

I set it up with no issues at all.

When I read about security, I knew that had to be done.  Thus far, I have been unsuccessful it getting it to work, but admitedly my knowledge of SSL and hfs is limited, will require more testing that's all :)

But I did set it back to defaults and tried to DL a file to my Galaxy Tab and also got stopped.

I tried using Dolphin Browser(forever waiting for data connection) and Opera Mini(outright failed), both failed.  When I used FF it worked just fine without any issues.

In min mind, this is definitely a browser issue, but that is purely a guess based on my observation.  I have not tired the default Android browser but I suspect it won't be any different than Dolphin.

If anyone wants more details, I'll be more than glad to provide them.

Thought I would let you know.