rejetto forum

somthing is wrong

Offline gangooparsad

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
i am using dyndns, which is update by my router directly,

however i tried to use the hfs's builtin updater and after i typed in my address it forwards to www.mywanip.com

dont know whats happening!

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You are suffering what is becoming a repeated problem for some users with the ip-services: Servers used who should reply to your request with your ip that originated the request.

But some services seem not willing to respond to all requests from hfs-users without purchasing some of their products and they return their own ip address instead of yours, or some of this providers perhaps limit their answer to a fixed maximum value for requests from the same ip over 24 h. I suppose there could be 2 solutions:

1) remove http://www.mywanip.com from hfs.ini in the ip-services list.

2) Rejetto perhaps could change the header sent with the request so that providers don't know that the request coms from a hfs-server.

But instead of waiting for a solution: Leave the task of updating your dyndns account to your server router!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:24:53 PM by bacter »
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline AvvA

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I think Bacter means to leave the task to your router, not server :)
In fact, this HFS option is meant to be used by users without alternative to update their IPs via Dynamic DNS service, I think.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thank you AvvA, you are right  ;)

Offline gangooparsad

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
well my router isnt exactly first class and it kinds dying on me, coz i have noticed sometimes the wireless wont connect or the dyndns wont update... my router is a Level one WBR-3408,

anyway other way of fixing the problem with server wihout having to download the dyndns.com's specific update utility?

thanks

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
gangooparsand:

I suggest to fix the problem where it is, and afterwards to establish the most logical order where you want to update your dyndns.

If a router (even a 'first class'..) has erratic behaviour (sometimes..) it's time to change (or repair) it. But for the symtoms you have, the problems may persist even with a new first class box for the following reasons:
1) To update your dyndns, your 'thing' (router or any pc) must be able to connect to dyndns - there could be a problem with the service of your isp or dns-server, and even if connection is ok, there may be a lag until dnsservers are updated.
2) wireless won't connect.. ¿how may wifi networks are in your area and what channels do they use? I have seen may connection and quality problems where you have different networks, and most of them use the same factory default channels. Use a utility like netstumbler on a laptop to see how many networks use the same channel and change it to a free channel or one where you see only weak signals.

Recomended order for updating dyndns.
1) Router: The most practical solution, as updating is done even if you shut down computers on your network.
2) Dedicated update program like DynDNSupdater. Especially recomended for two reasons: a) gives you visual control if you are connected without the need trying to access webpages or routerconfig. b) works as long as your pc is running, even if you shutdown or reinitializise your server, or if you use different servers (hfs,voicechatserver,streaming...). If you use dyndns, DynDNSupdater seems to be the best choice.
3) Integrated dnsupdaters like in hfs. Avoid configuring updating from different servers, it only rises the nomber of problems like the one you mention in your first post. Happily, dynDNS does not update with an updaterequest from a different IP, so even if you see a false IP on your hfs, your  gango.persand.org url will not be updated with a strange ip.

Offline AvvA

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Just a note about HFS and request to Dynamic DNS services :)

I'm looking into it, as I want to include it in the ABC GUIde I've made, and I discover that DynDNS and NoIP ask for precise header in order to reply.
Also, Those kind of services are goin' widely known by Mr Everybody, and this fact leads some DynDNS services to only accept 1 request when IP has really changed, or an amount of request each day...

Here at NoIP they block your request for an amount of time if not doing like they said.
There at DynDNS, they'll return "abuse" if they estimate you are.

Perhaps something to do with that ^^

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I think also that most of this services are checking the header of the request.
It would be great if we could (re)define the header for requests - it would also be interesting in union with the 'load' macro.

Also, updating the ip inside of hfs or another running program seems not to be the best solution. In every modem/router the external ip is 'known'. I think they don't relay on an external service and use some request to the providers servers. Updating the ip inside the router (with DYNdns), or using the dyndns-updater with intervals of 55 minutes, i have never observed any problem.

But when you 'test' and turn hfs on/off in short intervals, it's likely that they 'cut down', as Avva said with the 'abuse' message, or like what whatsmyip did, returning their address.

Offline gangooparsad

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
so sorry for the late reply, and bumping a very old post.

but the updation problem is with HFS, i am sure of this because i tested it already i connected my PC directly to broadband and let it update dyndns,

the ip updated was pointing to a another website being operated by tzo.com, (these guys are known spamers, scammers and filty ******)
anyway i have disable the HFS updater using both my router and the dynds updater to update the ip...

ohh and to minimize the abuse thingy i have already purchased premium service from dyndns for 1 year its only usd8.00

anyway cheers

p.s. the problem is with build 242.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Some users reported problems with finding external address with HFS . The problem seems to be caused by some servers used by hfs (list of ip-services in hfs.ini!). See also last posts in

http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=7307.msg1045380#msg1045380.

I don't know if updating hfs to a newer build updates this list, nor if rejetto updated the list with newer builds, or if you have to edit the ip-services list. Wait for an answer from rejetto or a coder-marster  ;)

Offline gangooparsad

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
ok! got it. btw where is this hfs.ini located i may want to edit it myself

thanks

Offline bill1980

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I know this is going to sound basic, and I might get laughed at but I didnt see it mentioned.  OP said he had an old router, getting the newest update for the routers drivers sometimes helps as well with issues like sporatic connectivity.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
good suggestion, even if it's "firmware" instead of "drivers" (just to help those who will perform the search).

2) Rejetto perhaps could change the header sent with the request so that providers don't know that the request coms from a hfs-server.

i don't think this would be fair.
in case there's an ugly bug that caused HFS to be banned, after fixing the bug, i would consider changing the header to give another chance.
being this not a core feature but bonus, i would opt for a clean solution.

is there a bug about it? what do we know about this bug?

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Rejetto:

I think there is no bug in the program, only the list of ip-services (in hfs.ini) has some (3) minor errors.(see posts in http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=7307.msg1045380#msg1045380)

In most cases reported about this problem (bad ip), the problem was solved or at least reduced after editing ip-services in hfs.ini.  Question: Updating to a next build , hfs updates hfs.ini or users must edit it?

Probably the problem only arises with bad quality of the used dns server, due to a timeout when trying to access one of the services. Perhaps - after editing or correcting hfs.ini - affected users should change their dns server or add one more.

If more problems of this type should be reported, perhaps you could increment the time to wait for an answer of the service before timeout is detected and the next server form the list is accessed.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i already replied to that
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=7307.msg1045622#msg1045622

the ip-services list is downloaded every 24 hours and  ini file is updated.