rejetto forum

Still see jpg files as downloads

Offline kelstertx

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I'm using build 275 here, but I don't think anything has changed regarding this feature.

I am trying to thin out the amount of log lines, and have "*.jpg;" listed as "don't consider as download (mask)" setting.  Yet I still see every little .jpg in the log with "Fully downloaded blah blah blah".  Am I using it wrong?  I think I tried comma instead of semicolon as delimiter, but no joy.

Does real folder vs virtual folder matter for this setting to work?

PS. I'd also be happy with a global setting that let me pick some filesize under which to not consider as a download.

-Kelly

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I have all my images in a virtual folder and select them all as a list in VFS window.
Right click on the list, go to Properties > Flags and check "Don't log" and "Don't consider
as download"
I think the file mask only prevents being added to the count of downloads, but doesn't
prevent logging.

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
Well.... you could set it so that HFS doesn't log any downloads automatically and then in hfs.events under the [download completed] section put something like

Code: [Select]
{.if|{.!=|%file-ext%|jpg.}|{:{.add to log|%ip% downloaded %item-name%.}:}.}

I noticed the same thing before when I tried to make it not log .js and .css files.... not sure if this is a bug or not but there's a temporary solution.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:36:44 PM by raybob95 »

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
My method works for .css & .js also. I never see them in my log.
This prevents web page images from logging.
This way my shared folders of photos do log.

@ raybob95 The code you posted adds .jpg to the log here.  ???
not sure if this is a bug or not
I don't think it's a bug.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:20:34 AM by r][m »

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
I said something along the lines of that I wrote it in 3 seconds and never tested it  :o

Offline kelstertx

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have all my images in a virtual folder and select them all as a list in VFS window.
Right click on the list, go to Properties > Flags and check "Don't log" and "Don't consider
as download"
I think the file mask only prevents being added to the count of downloads, but doesn't
prevent logging.

This sounds perfect, except I took the suggestion (offered by the program at folder creation time) that my folders should be real, not virtual.  I can't drill down into the top level folders to select the images and change that setting.  Anything I can do for real folders?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the "don't log" option is available also with real folders.

anyway i studied your problem and only solutions i can see are
- to follow the suggestion you got (of changing the location of files, dividing)
- or to disable the logging options and to script your logging method.

in the future i may add another tool for filtering the log in such cases.

Offline kelstertx

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
the "don't log" option is available also with real folders.

anyway i studied your problem and only solutions i can see are
- to follow the suggestion you got (of changing the location of files, dividing)
- or to disable the logging options and to script your logging method.

in the future i may add another tool for filtering the log in such cases.

The "don't log" is for the entire folder, and all the files I do want to log are in there as well.  Basically, it's big folders with lots of home movie clips, karaoke recordings, etc.  There's one thumbnail picture per "real download item", which makes the page prettier, but I don't want to see that in the log, since it looks so similar to a real download.  But if I can't clean it, I can't clean it.  HFS is still the best and easiest tool for what I do.

One last thought... From an HTML standpoint, it's just the stuff sent over as a result of IMG tags that gets in the way.  Real downloads are pointed to with an A tag and the HREF does not point to a picture.  Does that open the door to any tricks?  Any way to block things by the tag?  Maybe CSS classes?  (I don't know how to use events yet.)  Obviously having all the pictures in a "don't log" folder would work, but that's too much re-org and re-write of entire site for me, since all thumbnails are same filename across entire tree to keep index files almost identical for easy copy pasta.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:47:52 PM by kelstertx »

Offline kelstertx

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Just as a followup, I did move all the pictures to a virtual folder and made the entire folder a "don't count as download" folder.  Took some work, but seemed the most straightforward of the choices.